Please be so kind as to take a moment to click a links below.

Sunday, August 27, 2006

10 or So Things Your Comm Station Should Have

Let's face it... Being a CAP Comm Geek, I'm biased when I say this, but however you operate, quick, decisive and efficient communication is the key to a successful mission. How quickly just one operator can keep the information flowing can mean the difference between life and death for some unfortunate downed pilot.

Here's a list of things I've compiled over the past few years that work very well to not only keep that information flowing between the IC and the field, but are not too terribly expensive. So without any further rambling......here we go (in no order of importance).

1. Generator and a TON of fresh batteries

Now I know that bugging your CC or Finance Officer for moneys to go buy a generator may not be at the top of everyone's list, but once you're running a comm station during a thunderstorm and the lights go *poof*, you'll thank yourself for having that degree of backup. Even if it's just a small one that can only run one VHF, it saves you from the trouble of having to run outside in a storm and work an aircraft and two GT's with nothing more than a handheld. Rummage around in a local pawn shop and price a used one in good condition...Generally around $300, but it can be kept for 10 years with regular MXT. Keep plenty of batteries on hand too. Home Depot had a huge sale last week where I picked up 28 AA's and 8 D's for $11.

2. Computer with internet access

That one for me was a PITA to get going, but now that I have it, I don't know how we ran OPS without it. You can keep your comm inventory, check CEMS and NTC for information, keep tabs on the weather where your GT's and aircraft are, E-mail the IC's if HF conditions are saturated/ or are too good for the telephone.....the list goes on and on and on....... Put Google Earth on it and play around with it.

3. Scanner

You may ask why you might even think you would need a scanner in the comm center, but hear me out on this one. I have around 6-7 various scanners, one I deligated to the comm desk at the SQ. Simply run a 1/8" to 1/8" stereo cable (may require a mono adapter for the scanner) into the LINE IN jack on the computer. Then download one of the many *FREE* scanner recorders available on the web. Set one scanner bank to monitor the repeater input and output only and BINGO! You now have an instant voice recorder that only writes audio when the recorder's squelch is opened. Once you have this up and running, you can even save the file with a mission #, burn the file to a CD and keep an audio file along with the logs. It might require some tweaking to get good sound quality, but let me tell you...when I send the IC an audio file of the mission radio traffic that was just run, the response has always been....WOW! You can also program in ATC, local police/fire/EMS.
Keep a few handhelds around for GT's to use for body blocking a signal if necessary.

4. Zip ties of various colors

Have 5-6 antenna feed lines like me? Take two zip ties, zip one on the feed line and one on the antenna jack. Makes for quick and easy ID of what cable goes where. You wouldn't want to hook up the VHF to the HF antenna now would you? (Yes I've done that, accidentally of course).

5. Clipboards

Get out the nails and make room on the wall to hang them. Keeps them up off the desk and within easy reach. I have 5 I use for my HF log, VHF log, Comm Capability Confidence Checklist, one with blank paper and the other with the mission sign in roster.

6. TAC board

Well, that's what I call it (tactical board). I took an old dry erase board, cleaned it with some yellow cleaner stuff we have (will take paint off a car, I won't tell you the nickname we have for it) and partitioned it off with electrical tape. We have space for the following: Date, Mission Number, Type of Mission, 6 hr Weather Forecast, Comm Plan, Aircrew section with: Crew Roster, Wheels Up time, Next Checkin, OVERDUE, Taskings, Ground Team section with: Crew Roster (with callsigns as needed) Depart, Next Checkin, OVERDUE and taskings. When I train new MRO's, I usually have them assist in keeping the logs as well as keeping the information on the board up to date. Plus, our cadets think it's cool to update the information on the board that the IC and OPS branch is going to come in and see.

7. Copy of the WG Comm Plan

We filled up a 3 ring binder with not only the Wing's Comm Plan, but made a supplement to overview the operations in the Charleston area as well. We update it every year along with the WG CP, and keep emergency procedures for losing contact with an aircraft/ GT, lightening strike (had one last week actually at the FBO...blew a 3" deep hole in the concrete THROUGH the wing of a Gulfstream IV....scary stuff) , failure of VHF or HF and power failures. When any of these happen, the operator is to open the book and skip to the tab with the procedure. Makes for safe and idiot proof operation of the station.

8. Tool Box. (With tools of course). No further explination is needed. You'll use it....trust me.

9. Bag of spare connectors, soldering GUN (not iron) and cable.

I can't count the times I've made a beautifully cut piece of coax only to drive to Radio Shack to buy a PL259-SO236 adapter. (That's UHF connectors for those that don't know). Speaking of the cable, I have a 1000' spool of RG-6 and RG-8. Nice insurance policy I think just in case the WX calls for something nasty (ie: hurricane)

10. A well trained and practiced operator

Let's face it, an awesome tactical comm center like what I've set up at SC-056 (I think it's awesome in my own mind haha) is ONLY as good as the officer or cadet at the microphone. Use down time to plan things out, think "How can I make this station better?"

One final note that I'm not going to place on the list is to hold a class with ALL of your ES team to go over comm plans, what channel does that FM radio in the aircraft need to be on for what, the effective range of the repeater and how to relay messages using the aircraft. This, you'll thank yourself for doing when your team saves someone's life.

I'm going to close this article with a little phrase I make everyone in the SQ remember: God knows where you are and what you're up to at all times, but if your mission base comm team does NOT know where you are and what you're doing.....you'd better be on good terms with God.

First Lieutenant Christopher Bishop
Comm Officer- SC-056

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home